The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Doré, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 07/31/2014 02:34 AM
Q&A: Does the Gobekli Tepe Site Contradict the Biblical Account of Man?
From Peg in Mesa, AZ How does RTB explain the Gobekli Tepe mystery? For many people this type of archeological evidence is very difficult to reconcile with the biblical account of man. **** I presume the difficulty to which you refer is the early dates for artifacts found at the Gobekli Tepe site. Radiocarbon dates … Continue reading
- 07/28/2014 01:39 PM
Itâ€™s No Gag: Pharyngeal Reflex Shows Intelligent Creation
Dentists constantly remind patients to brush their teeth well, including the tongue. But as any brusher knows, an errant stroke to the back of the tongue triggers a gag reflex, which also causes the eyes to tear. But why should a stimulus applied in the oral cavityâ€“â€“the opening of the gastrointestinal tractâ€“â€“have any effect on … Continue reading
- 07/24/2014 06:45 PM
Q&A: Does Tubal-Cain Predate the Bronze and Iron Ages?
From Craig â€”Vicenza, Italy I just noticed in Genesis 4:22 it states that Tubal-Cain forged all kinds of tools out of bronze and iron. Tubal-Cain is the great-great-great-great grandson of Cain. The genealogy mentioned before his name does not read like other genealogies where â€śson ofâ€¦â€ť may mean grandson of or great grandson of, etc. … Continue reading
- 07/21/2014 02:52 AM
Hints of Fine-Tuning Amidst Uncertainty about Breakthroughs
Headline-making discoveries sometimes resemble dramas where a plot can turn at any moment. Thus, some skepticism surfaces when breakthroughs such as two recent ones hit the news. One finding showed that the universe really did undergo inflationâ€“â€“the hypothesized extremely rapid, very early expansion that affirms big bang theory. Another announced the discovery of the long-sought … Continue reading
- 07/17/2014 02:06 AM
A Key Transitional Form in Human Evolution May Not Have Existed
â€śWhat? You mean to tell me that Sherlock Holmes wasnâ€™t real!?â€ť Some fictional characters are so instantiated in our collective psyche that we often think of them as actual people who once lived, though they never did. Based on recent work by researchers from Tel Aviv University in Israel, it appears as if the same … Continue reading
- 07/14/2014 02:41 AM
Artificial DNA, Actual Design
If aliens from another world were to visit Earth, their arrival would generate headlines and major buzz. In fact, if such a momentous event ever occurred, it would be hard to imagine anyone talking about anything else. Perhaps itâ€™s not all that surprising, then, that researchers from Scripps Institute in La Jolla, CA, garnered headlines … Continue reading
- 07/10/2014 02:32 AM
Q&A: Is the Universe a Waste? and The Facts Behind Jonahâ€™s Story
Q&A #1: Can We Remove a Star or Galaxy and Still Have a Fine-Tuned Universe? From Liam in Bunbury, Western Australia: Some skeptics say that it is a waste to create such a massive and complex universe only to place in it a little speck called Earth.Â But as knowledge has increased weâ€™ve learned about fine-tuning … Continue reading
- 07/07/2014 02:39 AM
Astrosphere Habitable Zones Display Fine-Tuned Characteristics
Could there be life on other planets? The ongoing search continues to yield data showing how rare, if not unique, our planet is. Scientists have identified multiple â€śhabitable zones,â€ť including the astrosphere habitable zone, that must be fine-tuned in order to support complex life. Two separate studies conducted by astrobiology research teams have determined the … Continue reading
- 07/03/2014 02:16 AM
Q&A: Is Christianity a Science Showstopper?
A few years ago, I took part in an email exchange with a prominent origin-of-life researcher after he read my book Origins of Life (coauthored with Hugh Ross). He expressed the concern that “the creationist perspective stops the questioning process.” I would be interested in how you think the “creation model approach…will lead to scientific … Continue reading
- 06/30/2014 02:36 AM
Do You Know the Difference between Observation and Interpretation? Part 2
The most common definition of science requires researchers to assume naturalism, meaning that supernatural interpretations of data are excluded by assumption. So, even when the true explanation of an observationâ€”such as the origin of the universe, the origin of life, and the origin of speciesâ€”is supernatural, scientists will necessarily arrive at the wrong interpretation. Many … Continue reading
Last Modified June 16, 2006