The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Dorť, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 08/31/2015 02:15 AM
Reverse Engineering: A Seahorse Tale
A fundamental assumption in the scientific investigation of living things is that the components of an organism or cell have specific functions. The evidence for design in nature at both the macro (organismal) and micro (cellular) levels is overwhelming. Reverse engineering of natural machines, in addition to revealing their purpose in nature, has revealed new … Continue reading
- 08/27/2015 11:40 AM
Mitochondrial Genomes: Evidence for Evolution or Creation?
Little kids love to ask, ‚ÄúWhy?‚ÄĚ So do skeptics; however, their ‚Äúwhy‚ÄĚ questions aren‚Äôt asked to gain insight. Instead, they are rhetorical‚ÄĒposed to highlight inconsistencies between the way the world actually is and the ideal that arises out of the Christian worldview. In this vein, skeptics object to the notion of creation and intelligent design … Continue reading
- 08/24/2015 11:41 AM
Dead Reckoning in Human Beings: An Example of Excellent Design
On May 25, 1961, President John F. Kennedy gave the United States of America a national goal of ‚Äúlanding a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth.‚ÄĚ The president went on to say, ‚ÄúThis decision demands a major national commitment of scientific and technical manpower.‚ÄĚ Among the numerous complexities surrounding this … Continue reading
- 08/20/2015 02:54 AM
Global Warming Affects Carbon Dating
The mention of global warming‚ÄĒor its more current name, climate change‚ÄĒtends to bring out a lot of strong opinions. Those skeptical of human-induced climate change are often labeled ‚Äúclimate deniers.‚ÄĚ Others use terms like scam or hoax toward the whole idea of global warming. Regardless of the issue‚Äôs criticisms, there is a reason to be … Continue reading
- 08/17/2015 02:07 AM
Searching for Earth 2.0
‚ÄúNASA Finds Earth-like Kepler-452b: Discovery May Help Prove We‚Äôre Not Alone‚ÄĚ ‚ÄúWhat‚Äôs Life like on Kepler-452b? A Little like This, Maybe?‚ÄĚ ‚ÄúNASA Finds ‚ÄėEarth‚Äôs Bigger, Older Cousin‚Äô‚ÄĚ ‚ÄúKepler-452b: What It Would Be like to Live on Earth‚Äôs ‚ÄėCousin‚Äô‚ÄĚ So read the headlines based on a NASA press release about the most recent ‚Äúhabitable planet‚ÄĚ discovery. … Continue reading
- 08/13/2015 02:05 AM
New Discovery Hands Human Evolution a Challenge
The human hand is remarkable. It permits humans to manufacture and use a wide range of tools, distinguishing us from animals and undoubtedly contributing to our success as a species. One of the unique features of the human hand is our lengthy thumbs. In contrast, chimpanzees have much shorter thumbs, strikingly disproportionate to their long … Continue reading
- 08/10/2015 12:16 PM
Q&A: Does the Bible Misrepresent the Domestication of Camels?
A Facebook friend named Oliver recently asked for help addressing an unusual challenge to biblical inerrancy. A skeptical friend of Oliver‚Äôs claimed that the Bible misrepresents the timing of camel domestication. He wrote, ‚ÄúIf the Bible can‚Äôt even get that right, how can I believe the rest of what it says?‚ÄĚ I admit I had … Continue reading
- 08/06/2015 02:36 AM
How to Evaluate the Certainty in Scientific Discoveries
When people approach me after a speaking engagement, they often express great excitement and joy over the new scientific evidences I present for the Christian faith and for the inspiration and inerrancy of the Bible. However, many of these same folks are reluctant to use these evidences in their personal witnessing to non-Christian family, friends, … Continue reading
- 08/03/2015 02:46 AM
Cosmic Inflation: It Really Happened
In March 2014, a South Pole research team reported that BICEP2 had detected gravitational waves and definitively proved that the universe experienced hyper-expansion (an inflation event) when it was extremely young.1 Such a momentous discovery, everyone agreed, was worthy of a Nobel Prize; however, it was not to be. In their zeal to be the … Continue reading
- 07/30/2015 02:12 AM
Fine-Tuning the Ratio of Small to Large Stars
For decades, astronomers have assumed that the ratio of small-mass stars to high-mass stars observed in our Milky Way Galaxy (MWG) is a universal constant for all galaxies. A growing body of data, however, now challenges that assumption. Astronomers refer to this ratio as the stellar initial mass function (IMF). The IMF is important for … Continue reading
Last Modified June 16, 2006