The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Doré, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 12/18/2014 02:23 AM
The Wisdom of Biochemical Systems
New Yearâ€™s Day will soon be upon us. That means itâ€™s time to come up with a few resolutions. Any commitment to lose weight wonâ€™t last long. Maybe, Iâ€™ll read through the book of Proverbs in 2015. More wisdom would be good. The advice Solomon imparts stemmed from his experience and time spent in careful … Continue reading
- 12/15/2014 02:02 AM
Evolution: Seeing Isnâ€™t Believing
I donâ€™t believe in Santa Clausâ€”but if he and his reindeer landed on my roof one Christmas Eve, I just might change my mind. As the old adage goes, â€śSeeing is believing.â€ť Evolutionary biologists often make use of this maxim to argue that biological evolution is a fact. They point out that we can see … Continue reading
- 12/11/2014 02:55 AM
â€śI Am a Godâ€ť: Pharaohâ€™s Hardened Heart
For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, â€śFor this very purpose I [God] raised you up, to demonstrate My power in you, and that My name might be proclaimed throughout the whole earth.â€ť â€” Romans 9:17 (NASB) The trailer for Ridley Scottâ€™s upcoming epic Exodus: Gods and Kings offers a revealing glimpse of Pharaohâ€™s character, showing … Continue reading
- 12/08/2014 02:10 AM
Ten Plagues of Exodus
Israelâ€™s exodus from Egypt was not only a pivotal point in biblical history; it is an epic story that continues to capture our imaginations. Later this week, Moses and Pharaoh will return to the big screen in Ridley Scottâ€™s Exodus: Gods and Kings. No doubt Scott has made use of Hollywoodâ€™s special effects wizards to … Continue reading
- 12/04/2014 02:48 AM
Exodus: Turning Water into Blood
In August of this year, reports surfaced of a crisis in Toledo, Ohio, that â€śsent more than 500,000 metro Toledo residents scrambling for bottled water.â€ť1 The municipal water had become undrinkable and even unusable for bathing due to contamination by harmful blue-green algae. The algae occur naturally in Lake Erie, the source of Toledoâ€™s water, … Continue reading
- 12/01/2014 02:26 AM
Astronomy Sheds New Light on the Christmas Star
The star that appeared to the Magi, indicating the promised Messiahâ€™s arrival and prompting a pilgrimage to Judea, has sparked much speculation.1 The Magi saw the same star reappear one to two years after its first appearance while on their short journey between Jerusalem and Bethlehem, following a consultation with King Herod and his court. … Continue reading
- 11/27/2014 02:38 AM
Thankful for Scientific Advances
My family frequently goes on camping trips over Thanksgiving week to enjoy the spectacular creation in which we live. Weâ€™ve seen Californiaâ€™s giant sequoia trees, the Pacific coast, and the majestic mountains of Zion National Park in Utah. Even with the chilly weather, the opportunity to witness these impressive sights always elicits a response of … Continue reading
- 11/24/2014 02:49 AM
How to Prepare Earth for Animals
Most larger construction projects usually include one critical step when multiple things have to come together at the right time and in the right way. When building an addition onto the back of my house, that step occurred when erecting the walls. In the span of a day, the three walls were framed, balanced on … Continue reading
- 11/20/2014 02:06 AM
Tuberculosis Study Could Help Us Understand How Disease Spreads
The latest Ebola outbreak has elicited a lot of fearâ€”justifiably so. The potential for a pandemic highlights the critical need for epidemiologists to understand the origin and spread of human pathogens. The Ebola scare also raises difficult questions of a theological nature. How could a good God, who is all-powerful and â€“knowing, create a world … Continue reading
- 11/17/2014 02:38 AM
Is the Whale Pelvis a Vestige of Evolution?
Youâ€™ve heard about the elephant in the roomâ€”but what if the elephant is a whale? I distinctly remember feeling uneasiness when I came upon a blue whale skeleton hanging from the ceiling in the Museum of Natural History in London. It wasnâ€™t the skeletonâ€™s massive size that caused my disquietâ€”it was the small pelvic and … Continue reading
Last Modified June 16, 2006