The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Doré, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 10/30/2014 02:59 AM
Q&A: Does the Book of Revelation Hint at a Multiverse?
From Jeremiah in Vancouver, Washington Hello Reasons staff, Revelation 21:1 says, â€śThen I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed awayâ€ť (NIV). Do you think that this could be hinting at the possibility of a multiverse? **** Great question, Jeremiah! I think the â€śnew … Continue reading
- 10/27/2014 02:33 AM
What Are the Odds of You Being You?
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my motherâ€™s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. â€” Psalm 139:13â€“14 When anticipating the birth of a childâ€”be it our own or a grandchild, niece or nephewâ€”we might find ourselves … Continue reading
- 10/23/2014 02:19 AM
Three Discoveries Marked by the Creatorâ€™s Fingerprints
Over the past month, three different topics important to the science-faith discussion have appeared in scientific literature. Discoveries in each of these areas showcase an apologetic intersection that helps buttress the Christian faith and point to Godâ€™s work in fashioning the cosmosâ€”from distant galaxies to Earthâ€™s mountain rangesâ€”for life. 1. Distant Galaxy Affirms Big Bang … Continue reading
- 10/20/2014 02:27 AM
Newly Discovered Process Drove Ancient Tectonic Activity
â€śTwo great tastes that taste great together!â€ť So goes the tagline for Reeseâ€™s Peanut Butter Cups. The first ingredientâ€”chocolateâ€”provides the sweet, rich taste. The secondâ€”peanut butterâ€”adds a dense, salty kick. Together, they do indeed taste great. And just like you need chocolate and peanut butter to make a Reeseâ€™s, so you need liquid water and … Continue reading
- 10/17/2014 06:07 PM
Ambassadors for Reconciliation
In 2 Corinthians 5:19bâ€“20a we read, â€śHe has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christâ€™s ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us.â€ť Clearly this passage refers to our role in spreading the gospel. And yet I think it has wider implications, as well. One way we can help … Continue reading
- 10/16/2014 02:04 AM
Scientists Uncover a Good Purpose for Long-Lasting Pain in Animals
Who trusted God was love indeed And love Creationâ€™s final law Thoâ€™ Nature, red in tooth and claw With ravine, shriekâ€™d against his creed â€” Alfred, Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam A.H.H. If God existsâ€”and if He is all-powerful, -knowing, and -goodâ€”why is there so much pain and suffering in the world? Perhaps nothing epitomizes … Continue reading
- 10/13/2014 02:07 AM
Gene Architecture Illuminates the Brilliance of Lifeâ€™s Molecular Logic
Because of my responsibilities at Reasons to Believe, I spend a lot of time reading scientific magazines and journals. While I can make my way quickly through most of the articles, sometimes it takes me hoursâ€”even daysâ€”to read and process a single item published in a scientific journal, including those that are just a few … Continue reading
- 10/09/2014 02:50 AM
Q&A: Is Historical Science Supported by Direct Observation?
From Jim in South Point, Ohio I was watching a â€śdebateâ€ť on TBN featuring Hugh and Ken Ham among others; and Mr. Ham used an argument that seems to have become extremely popular with young-earth creationists (YEC) concerning what they perceive as a dichotomy between â€śoperationalâ€ť science and â€śhistoricalâ€ť science. I know that Hugh on … Continue reading
- 10/06/2014 02:08 AM
Sudden Appearance of Jurassic Dinosaurs Demonstrates the Creatorâ€™s Work
Only during the last few decades have scientists recognized the many mass extinction and mass speciation events throughout lifeâ€™s history. Psalm 104:29â€“30, however, described these events thousands of years ago: When you [God] hide your face, they [Earthâ€™s creatures] are terrified. When you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust. When … Continue reading
- 10/02/2014 02:31 AM
Q&A: Why Do Christians Study Science?
From Bob Miller: lf one believes unequivocally that God created our universe, why would one even consider, no less research and study, scientific explanations for the origins of the universe or alternative ideas such as its not having a beginning? **** Science is possible only because our universe is an orderly place governed by natural … Continue reading
Last Modified June 16, 2006