The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Doré, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 10/02/2014 02:31 AM
Q&A: Why Do Christians Study Science?
From Bob Miller: lf one believes unequivocally that God created our universe, why would one even consider, no less research and study, scientific explanations for the origins of the universe or alternative ideas such as its not having a beginning? **** Science is possible only because our universe is an orderly place governed by natural … Continue reading
- 09/29/2014 02:19 AM
Did Vertebrate Animals Die before the Fall of Man?
The Bible makes clear that human death did not occur until after Adam and Eve sinned (Genesis 3). But did animals die before the fall? The young-earth creationist (YEC) movement holds that no vertebrates died before the fall. According to this view, a world with vertebrate death could not merit the description â€śvery goodâ€ť (Genesis … Continue reading
- 09/25/2014 02:52 AM
Q&A: Do We Have a Reliable Starting Point for Radiocarbon Dating?
From Ben in Muncie, IN I have a nagging question about radiometric decay that Iâ€™m having trouble finding an answer to. In order to calculate somethingâ€™s age, we need to know what the C-14 to C-12 ratio was at the time when it stopped exchanging carbon with the environment. But how exactly do we know … Continue reading
- 09/22/2014 12:46 PM
Redundant Blood Supply to the Brain Shows Good Engineering
â€śHouston, weâ€™ve had a problem.â€ť Commander Jim Lovellâ€™s famous, though often misquoted,1 words mark the epic struggle of the disabled Apollo 13 mission, called a â€śsuccessful failureâ€ť because while the three-man crew never reached the Moon, they did return to Earth safe and sound. Following his now-iconic statement, Lovell described their situation to NASAâ€™s ground … Continue reading
- 09/18/2014 02:41 AM
Four Essentials of Science Apologetics
One of our goals at Reasons to Believe is to equip Christians to defend their faith with â€śgentleness and respectâ€ť per 1 Peter 3:15. In our emotionally charged culture, making a persuasive case for something as controversial as Christianity is easier said than doneâ€”but it can be done. Such a case rests on sound arguments … Continue reading
- 09/15/2014 02:56 AM
Are Humans Special?
Is human life on Earth special or not? According to the popular narrative, science continues pushing humanity off any supposed pedestalâ€”a process that began when Nicolaus Copernicus promoted a heliocentric solar system. Noted astrobiologist Caleb Scharfâ€™s recently-released book, The Copernicus Complex, deals with this question. In full disclosure, I have not read the book, but … Continue reading
- 09/11/2014 02:43 AM
The Amazing Disappearing Hominid!
Vanishing acts have played a role in magic spectacles for centuries. But what might be good entertainment in a theatre is no laughing matter for paleoanthropology. The human fossil record has recently experienced a possible disappearance of sorts. An increasing number of researchers now argue that Homo heidelbergensis, a key transition in human evolutionary scenarios, … Continue reading
- 09/08/2014 02:59 AM
Did Humans Cause the Global Extinctions of Mammals?
Cursed is the ground because of you. â€” Genesis 3:17 Humans cause a lot of damage to the environment. Understandably, many people attribute the destruction to the ballooning human population and the activities associated with advancing and sustaining first world economies and industrializing the nations of the second and third worlds. Itâ€™s tempting to think … Continue reading
- 09/04/2014 02:15 AM
Q&A: Did Petroleum Deposits Result from Inorganic Sources?
Ben in Missoula, MT While studying geoscience, I came across the theory of petroleum abiogenesis. From my understanding petroleum abiogenesis hypothesizes that petroleum deposits, although seen with biological organisms and lithified microorganisms, have an origin primarily from non-organic sources deep within the earth. This clearly has significance to the public concern of running out of … Continue reading
- 09/01/2014 02:55 AM
Q&A: Does the Moonâ€™s Shallow Dust Layer Support a Young-Earth Model?
From Nathan in Newry, Northern Ireland A young-earth creationist pastor at one of the churches I regularly attend attacked my scientific viewpoint in one of his sermons. He said that NASA scientists tried to aim Apollo 11 so that it landed on the side of the crater because the scientists were scared that the lunar … Continue reading
Last Modified June 16, 2006