The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Doré, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 08/21/2014 02:02 AM
The Black Hole at the Center of the Milky Way
How would the world look if you saw only gamma rays? Instead of the normal tapestry of colors, everything would appear rather uniform and mundane. Lifting your gaze upward would reveal an uneven glow with a bright band corresponding to the plane of the Milky Way Galaxy. This largely unchanging pictureâ€”unaffected by day or nightâ€”of … Continue reading
- 08/18/2014 02:25 AM
Mixing It Up: Burrowing Animals Contribute to Regulated Oxygen Levels
Have you ever built a tower of blocks? If so, then you know the importance of starting with a stable base. Without such a base, the weight of the blocks, small nudges, or even the vibrations from a passer-by can cause the tower to come crashing down. A stable base is also essential to support … Continue reading
- 08/14/2014 02:20 AM
Whatâ€™s in a Name?: Hurricane Monikers and the Problem of Evil
â€śWhatâ€™s in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet. So Romeo would, were he not Romeo callâ€™d, Retain that dear perfection which he owes Without that title.â€ť Romeo and Juliet, 2.2 Contrary to what Juliet might think, psychologists have recently learned there is much â€śin a … Continue reading
- 08/11/2014 02:13 AM
Neanderthal Population Data Raises Doubt about Human-Neanderthal Interbreeding
As a high school student, I was frequently summoned to the principalâ€™s officeâ€”usually because he thought I was responsible for carrying out some type of misdeed. And, more often than not, he was right. Guilty as charged! Invariably, my response was to lie and denyâ€”and I learned quickly that if I was going to talk … Continue reading
- 08/07/2014 02:49 AM
Q&A: Relativity, Expansion, and the Speed of Light
From Keith Iâ€™m currently reading The Creator and the Cosmos and have a question regarding the expanding universe. As the expansion of the universe increases, Hugh said that eventually the rate of expansion would exceed the speed of light and we wouldnâ€™t be able to see light from those distant stars any longer. But I … Continue reading
- 08/04/2014 02:35 AM
Q&A: Did Radiation Levels Change during Noahâ€™s Flood?
From Clay in Clyde, OH I have a friend who is a young-earther, and one of his reasons for doubting carbon dating methods is he believes radiation levels changed at the time of the flood, which he views as global. Iâ€™ve read several articles on your site about carbon dating but havenâ€™t found an answer … Continue reading
- 07/31/2014 02:34 AM
Q&A: Does the Gobekli Tepe Site Contradict the Biblical Account of Man?
From Peg in Mesa, AZ How does RTB explain the Gobekli Tepe mystery? For many people this type of archeological evidence is very difficult to reconcile with the biblical account of man. **** I presume the difficulty to which you refer is the early dates for artifacts found at the Gobekli Tepe site. Radiocarbon dates … Continue reading
- 07/28/2014 01:39 PM
Itâ€™s No Gag: Pharyngeal Reflex Shows Intelligent Creation
Dentists constantly remind patients to brush their teeth well, including the tongue. But as any brusher knows, an errant stroke to the back of the tongue triggers a gag reflex, which also causes the eyes to tear. But why should a stimulus applied in the oral cavityâ€“â€“the opening of the gastrointestinal tractâ€“â€“have any effect on … Continue reading
- 07/24/2014 06:45 PM
Q&A: Does Tubal-Cain Predate the Bronze and Iron Ages?
From Craig â€”Vicenza, Italy I just noticed in Genesis 4:22 it states that Tubal-Cain forged all kinds of tools out of bronze and iron. Tubal-Cain is the great-great-great-great grandson of Cain. The genealogy mentioned before his name does not read like other genealogies where â€śson ofâ€¦â€ť may mean grandson of or great grandson of, etc. … Continue reading
- 07/21/2014 02:52 AM
Hints of Fine-Tuning Amidst Uncertainty about Breakthroughs
Headline-making discoveries sometimes resemble dramas where a plot can turn at any moment. Thus, some skepticism surfaces when breakthroughs such as two recent ones hit the news. One finding showed that the universe really did undergo inflationâ€“â€“the hypothesized extremely rapid, very early expansion that affirms big bang theory. Another announced the discovery of the long-sought … Continue reading
Last Modified June 16, 2006